Thursday, May 18, 2017

Grace Village, Elders, Fleri Resto OH MY!

Kaylyn here! Hello from Haiti! The team is settling in for the night after a long but fun day! Everyone's spirits were up and positive after a hard day yesterday at the orphanages.
We started the day in prayer for our day and looking forward to the exciting appointments God had already set before us. We took a long and always entertaining drive to visit Grace Village. Pulling into the gates felt like we were pulling into another world. It was brightly colored, beautifully landscaped and spotless! You can see the pride there is at Grace Village. We got a tour and got to see how they have taken children who come from different backgrounds and have given them a true home and family.

Then we were off to do our elder visits. This was an experience that seemed to put some of the team in an uncomfortable place, myself included. I was a bit hesitant and expected to sit back and hope some of the others would take the lead. Then I saw one of my teammates jump right in and start washing this sweet elderly woman's feet. I went to her left side and washed and massaged her arms. I felt a new level of intimacy with this woman. I started to find myself able to empathize with her. I thought about how hard those arms and hands I was massaging have worked throughout her hard life. Every single person I have seen in Haiti is working. Constantly working...even the kids. I sat and listened to the beautiful music coming from our sister Grace and her guitar. I watched a group of our men fix the door to her tin house, inside was a perfectly made bed, shoes under the bed and a dresser. She had the most beautiful eyes and had simple prayer requests. Pray for her family, her health and her home. The things to her that were most important. It was beautiful.

We then went on to our 2nd and 3rd stop. The 2nd had a set of sisters! Lots of grandkids came to join the fun. We were quite the attraction. We jumped right in...I started on this woman's arms and made my way to her feet. My flesh was scared but my spirit won this battle. I washed this lovely woman's feet and massaged them and her legs. I knew that if it was something I was afraid of I should probably do it. But the courage I got to do that came from the courage of my young teammate Janie who dove right in at the last house. I was able to allow someone else's bravery to give me strength to get outside of myself. And I was blessed to see my other teammates continue to do this every step of the way. Men with bad backs happily held large children. Scott was bound and determined to get these ladies up and dance with them. They were nothing short of jumping at the opportunity. It was such a moving experience. And this whole experience was set with a beautiful choir of Grace and the neighbor kids worshipping for us.

The 3rd stop was full of neighbor kids. Brian was the star of the show while he made the whole neighborhood laugh! I am proud to be a part of this team. As different as many of us are I can see these beautiful people put their comfort aside to be His hands and feet. They know they have a purpose here and it has nothing to do with them.

We ended the day visiting Fleri Resto and diving into iced coffees, Cokes and monkey bread!
On our way home we stopped to see the Mass Grave. To see the resting place of an estimated 300-400k Haitians who lost their lives in the 2010 earthquake. It was emotional to say the least. It was a beautiful memorial and we were all blessed to see it.

Nothing about serving in Haiti is comfortable.  It is quite the opposite in fact. We held children with pinkeye and just trusted that we would be covered. I see selflessness all around me with this team. A bunch of very imperfect people who are perfectly tackling the task God has set before them.
A scripture came to me while here in Haiti and it is one that we all know.
Matthew 25:40 "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me".

If touching and loving the least of these means we are touching and loving Jesus then you can sign us all up! We see Jesus everywhere here! The Haitians are the strongest people I have ever encountered. They love Jesus, they know Jesus and you can see the Hope in them. They have forever changed my heart.

Good night family! Keep us and our hearts in your prayers!

Haiti Rules!

Kaylyn <3

1 comment:

  1. If touching them means we're touching Jesus.. I told myself I wouldn't cry but that did it. What y'all are doing is SO brave and selfless. ❤❤

    ReplyDelete