Friday, January 29, 2016

Day #5: Water Truck!

Today started out with some of our teammates going to church while the others slept in after a late night of salsa dancing lessons from Jean. After a wonderful breakfast we headed out to another day of taking the water truck to Cite Soleil. Our first stop was a stop that we had visited earlier in the week. As we pulled in on the tap tap all of the children started to run after us yelling “Hey you! Hey you!” Just hearing their excitement and seeing the big smiles on their faces was incredibly heart warming. As soon as the tap tap door opens kids are swarming with their arms up, some are pushing others out of the way. As heart warming as it is to be welcomed by those little ones it is also heart breaking because they have such a longing to be held tight and to not be let go of. It was like you could not hold enough of them. At this stop I had this precious little boy who held so tightly on to me and would not let go. We sang “God is So Good” together and I just wanted to cry and hold him tighter. To see these people with nothing, singing how good God is hit me hard. The second stop was the most impactful for me. I had not yet been on the hose for the water truck and this stop I was. There is a big difference between watching them fill their buckets and being on the front line of filling up the buckets. Holding the hose as they came forward with their buckets and a desperation that I didn’t even know could exist. As I was filling their buckets and watching them I felt so guilty for the amount of water that I waste and take advantage of at home. At that stop my heart was so overwhelmed with love and sadness when I sat on the ground and the children just piled on me with excitement. Our last stop was another stop that we visited earlier this week. As soon as we got off the tap tap some of the children recognized us and ran up to us with joy as we scooped them into our arms. Some of us with two and three children on us. Today was phenomenal, seeing how communities come together, how proud the Haitians are of their homes and communities. Watching how they work together as a community, children helping carry large buckets of water, women helping each other put them on top of their heads. I learned so much about the love of God watching everyone on our team interact with the people. Learning to see the absolute beauty in every situation. Also in seeing our team work together and taking care of each other. I have a new sense and definition of family and community.

Love,

Tracey  

No comments:

Post a Comment